PRAYER IN A TIME OF CHAOS AND DISORDER
God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble with its tumult.
Loving and compassionate God, You call us to love our neighbors and to be bearers of Your hope and grace in our world. Expand our hearts and vision to respond with compassion to those around us who are struggling in this time of uncertainty, anxiety, grief and suffering. Give wisdom and strength to our health workers and government officials as they provide leadership in bringing our country through this crisis.
We bring before You and into our hearts and minds:
- Those whose work and income are uncertain.
- Those who are isolated.
- Those who are fearful of an unknown future.
- Those who are homeless, and all those who offer them support and care.
- Those who are involved in aged care—our agency leaders, staff and residents and their loved ones.
- Businesses whose futures are uncertain—their leaders and staff, school staff and students.
- Those with health conditions that put them at greater risk.
Give wisdom and care-filled discernment to all church leaders in congregations as we seek to creatively live out our worship, witness and service in ways that offer Christ’s life-giving love and presence. Strengthen and sustain us to be Your people—shaped by Your abundant grace, bearers of Your generosity and overflowing love. Through Christ our Light and Hope, we pray. Amen.
- Prayer from the Uniting Church in Australia
Blessings in Christ,